Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

PVL's Jumbo Siopao: A full-size gastronomic experience.

My penchant for something unique and weird brought me to schedule my sedentary Saturday to check Brgy. New Zaniga, Mandaluyong City.  Few days earlier, Dan, a foodie by physique, texted me about this big “siopao” he discovered in Vergara, Mandaluyong.  A “non-siopao” fan, it didn’t thrill my appetite for the discovery as I had tasted different “siopao” preparations in the past.  Not until he sent me a picture of the “siopao”.


“Siopao (traditional Chinese: sio-pau) is a Hokkien term for baozi, literally meaning steamed buns. It is also called salapao in Thailand. It is a popular food item in the Philippines. It does not require utensils to eat and can be consumed on-the-go. Like baozi, there are several siopao stuffing varieties which could be either Asado or bola-bola that may use pork, chicken, beef, shrimp or salted duck eggs” -  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
To really check it myself, I intentionally dragged myself to sleep early (Friday night is translated to Gin night with friends).  Their laughter and the occasional clanking of their glasses reverberated to my close-to-shut-down system.  I almost gave up but the picture of the big “siopao” saved me for the night.
The morning was fine.  I had a positive outlook that my big rock for the day would soon have its way to fulfillment after failing few big rocks months earlier. I towed my two housemates for the experience. The MRT ride from Taft Avenue Station to Shaw Boulevard took me 20 minutes cutting more than 1 hour of the travel time if I had taken the bus but missed the prospect of planning  and the infrequent “wishful thinking” – whichever comes first. 
The jeepney ride from Shaw Boulevard to Kalentong and Kalentong to Vergara was strenuous.  MMDA should take a look into our Jeepneys – once considered a Philippine Icon.  Gone are the days when one is proud with the beauty of our Jeepneys as Thais to their Tuk-tuk and Venetians to their Gondolas.  
A corner right in front of the entrance of San Felipe Cemetery leads you to the main street leading to PVL – maker of the big “siopao.” The façade doesn’t really look that imposing – not even to epicurean like me.  There are three PVL stores but the picture of the big “siopao” intimidated us.
I gathered after the photo op that their “siopao” is now into the pages of Pinoy Record-the national equivalent to Guinness Book of Records. Although when I started my “interview” – the “tindera” was not that accommodating. I learned that it is owned by certain Norma Lim.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.
But the great fun started when our big “siopao” was served and it was really BIG – I mean colossal?!  I know the eating capacity of my two housemates (me included) and we managed to have left over. That’s how BIG their “siopao” is.  Well, we have what we call “our personal opinion”. (Lol)


Blogger's Note:

Thanks Vince22 for the correction. It is highly appreciated. :)

4 comments:

About Me

"There is no happiness for the person who does not travel. For Indra is the friend of the traveler, therefore wander!" by Brähmann On a personal note, I don't know Brahmann nor Indra, but the lines speak more than they are read. I gave birth to this travel blog, inspite of the fact that there are zillion of travel blogs out there, to share with you all that we can see the world without spending TOO MUCH. This is my Travel-budget-blog.

Followers